Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My total for the week: $39.17

And I didn't do it by eating ramen noodles cooked on a hot pot.

I started the week by spending about half of my food budget on fruits and vegetables and I bought them first since I don't count calories or track nutritional values so (for me) a good rule of thumb is to have half your plate be fruits and vegetables (and the other half lean protein and whole grains). Then I bought proteins since they're more expensive and because I'm vegetarian, I have a tendency to not eat enough protein if I don't make a conscious effort at each meal. After I bought all the food I thought I would need to not be hungry and not pass out when exercising, I bought fancy items (like cheese, expensive fruit, premium ice cream) and I always made sure I was a bit under budget each day, just in case I wanted something other than the food I already had.


I spent under $40 and my food for the week included the following items:

Fruits & Vegetables (almost all were fresh): asparagus, carrots, 100% cranberry juice, pineapple, green beans, baby corn, dates, orange, mango, avocado, onion, edamame, spinach, strawberries, mushrooms, broccoli, raspberries.

Grains (all whole-grain, except one): pasta, crostini, rice cakes, white rice.

Proteins: Garbanzo beans, Greek yogurt, Morningstar Chik'n Strips, Trader Joe's vegetarian meatballs, eggs.

Non-essential items: Truffle oil, heavy cream, Jacques Torres graham crackers, Oaxaca cheese, blue cheese, chocolate, chocolate croissant, capers, Haagen Dazs ice cream, Teuscher champagne truffle, organic Grade B maple syrup.


The biggest challenge this week was social since it's expensive to eat out but I did go out three times (rather than going to a restaurant and not ordering which can be awkward for some, I found other activities to do when I was meeting people around food - trivia night, playing pool and a picnic at the park).

I could have finished the FSC on half the budget and still been healthy if I had not accepted the food my friends offered me and didn't buy any of the "extras" but I don't think it would have been realistic or sustainable. This past week (aside from going out to restaurants) was pretty close to my normal routine. My diet was actually much more varied than usual since one of the goals was to show that I could, on a small budget, incorporate many fresh fruits and vegetables (something food stamp advocates say is nearly impossible yet I purchased 16 different items). I also didn't purchase produce at farmer's markets or fruit stands because many people don't have access to them. I also cooked every day since I wanted to show that meals don't have to be repetitive or boring but normally, I don't mind repetitive meals and eat a lot of raw/fresh foods, so I only cook once or twice a week.

While others who did the FSC complained of being hungry and weak, I wasn't either of those things. I did work out less than usual but I still had the energy to do 15 miles this week. It did take a lot of mental energy to always be concerned about cost but that's not a unique experience.

And in case you missed it, I GAINED weight this week, probably because I was eating more, and more often, than I normally do and often when I wasn't even hungry. But then again, I'm not a six-foot tall marathoner, so I have to give the disclaimer: Your results may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment