Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 4: $5.80

Turkish Delights (0.60)
Morningstar Chik'n Strips in Caper Sauce over Spinach (1.10)
Cranberry Juice (0.25)
Strawberries with Cream (1.68)
Dried Spicy Mango (0.25)
Peach and Passion Fruit Greek Yogurt (0.50)
Sautéed Mushrooms with Onions with Pasta (1.42)

I went grocery shopping with Jon yesterday and he bought over 17,000 calories for less than $40 (he calculated the total calories because he eats a lot and wanted to make sure had enough food to last the entire week). I was impressed because he purchased healthy, more expensive items like fresh fruit and only whole-grain products and managed to buy enough food to last me two weeks. Somehow Jon miscalculated and had to put a few things back at the cash register but the cashier was nice about it and people behind us didn't seem to mind when they were directed to another register.

Tonight, I made Spicy Sesame Noodles to bring to a picnic at Central Park tomorrow. (I really wanted to bring something more creative with better ingredients but my budget didn't allow it. At least this is more interesting than potato salad). I was hoping to have time to make Cinnamon Rice Pudding with the leftover rice still in my rice cooker but I have to go to bed early tonight so I can do a long run before the picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment