Tuesday, May 11, 2010

White Truffle Hummus

photo credit Amazon

It's more tedious but I decided to calculate the cost of each meal rather than buy $40 worth of food and only eat what I bought. I have food that would go to waste if I just stopped eating what is already in my fridge, especially since I'm going out of town the day after the challenge ends and throwing out food to complete an exercise on thriftiness seems contrary to the point of the challenge. Also, there will be things I won't finish by the end of the week that I can store (rice, dry beans) or freeze (soup) so I'll only include what I actually consume.

My local grocery store had the store-brand yogurt on sale but I decided to pay almost five times as much for Trader Joe's Greek Style Pomegranate because it tastes five times better (and has a lot more protein). So from that perspective, you'd have to eat three times as much cheap generic yogurt for each container of Greek Yogurt. And it's hormone-free, if you care about your milk not having pus in it.

Today, I made White Truffle Hummus for only $2.87 for 12 ounces! I bought truffle oil at Dean & Deluca but the same one is also sold on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment